Friday, June 6, 2008

Return

Ah, it's good to be back. And out of the storm. Well, for the most part, at least.

So, where have I been? Study, mostly. To be honest, I wasn't doing all that great in my other (admittedly less stirring :D ) life, the one where I'm a university student. So, due to a whole bunch of bad choices I made in the beginning of the semester, I had to forfeit an entire month and a bit to get everything I should've been able to finish by the term break rushed in. So, yes, not the best way to go. But, I managed to get most things out of the way, and despite some even worse choices made (haha), I'm still on my feet, if a little shakier than before.

By the way, that was my reason for not posting anything up in a long while. Heheh.

Actually, I still owe a post on the outcome of the National Champs which happened, erm, a month ago, actually. Still need to write up that one.

Anyway, since I hadn't been doing much training in that time, I thought it would be best to ease myself in by joining this week's beginner class. Plus, it would do me a lot of good to see my good friends again. So I went.

Boy, was I surprised. Not having seen the beginners for at least four sessions, I was really impressed at how much they've improved since then. Take their kiai, for example. Some of them are developing strong, forceful kiai real fast, even little Eric, the youngest and smallest of the kohai. To be honest, I actually felt threatened by some of them. Hahaha. Facing them in the future would definitely be something to look forward to.

Beginner Class on Thursday, June 5, 2008
  • Warm-up
    • Kiai
    • Joints, Achilles tendon, etc.
    • Run (x2 laps)
    • Suburi (x10 each)
      • Jogeburi
      • Men
      • Kote
      • Do
    • Jumping suburi
      • 3x sets of 10
    • Fumikomi
      • Single stamps with men
      • Men cut, zanshin to the end of the hall.
That's pretty much it, unless I forgot to put in an exercise or two (oops).

On a personal note, training started out a little bit awkwardly for me. Probably more due to self-consciousness than anything else, come to think of it. As Marleen-sensei said, I might have put it in my mind that I'm not going to do well because I haven't practiced in a while. That, and I forgot to stretch properly. Very nearly injured myself several times as a result...my right shoulder is still aching from shoddy jumping suburi, nearly twisted my hamstring running, and bruised my ankles stamping incorrectly. Oh, yeah. I'm going to need more training. Hahaha. Overall, good stuff, as always. Looking forward to more hijinks on Saturday.

Cheers.